Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Trials and Tribulations of App Developing

Half the battle of app development is mental stamina. we needs to look at our apps as Edison looked at the light bulb. We haven't failed each time our app idea doesn't work out; rather, we have found another way not to make a successful app. I know this sounds silly, but it is true. There is a lot of creative destruction in app development. Apps are built, then torn apart, then built up again several times before they become finished products. Creative destruction is a vital part of the app development process and we should see it as such to prevent ourselves from giving up entirely.
Sometimes, when I have hit a particularly frustrating lull, I move on to another idea in order to feel more productive. Yesterday, I worked on four different apps. Each time I got the urge to give up I would either start a new app, or go back to working on one I had started before. So while I have four half finished apps, it still felt as though I was productive. It also helped that some of the ideas I had while working on one app I could then apply to another app. If you only want to work on one app at a time, I suggest taking breaks whenever frustration hits. Get a snack, take a shower, go for a walk, whatever calms you down. Exercise is usually the best idea because it will get your blood flowing and clear your head after hours of sitting at a computer.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right Liz! An important part of the programming process is walking away and letting the ideas ferment. Many times the answer to a math or computer problem has come to me driving, cooking dinner or in the shower.

    ReplyDelete